Monday, February 22, 2010

Using Up the Stash #4

I have a lot of older beads in the stash that I bought from Michael's when I was first starting out. Nothing against Michael's, it's got a lot of fun stuff and tons of basics, plus if you're into mixed media it's a handy supplier of so many different media.

However, as I got more into making jewelry and then decided I wanted to try and sell my pieces, I found that I needed better better quality and better priced supplies. That's when I started shopping from places like Artbeads, Rings & Things, and other online suppliers you will find on my blogroll to the right of the post.

That said, I still shop there quite often. Sometimes because it's close and I need something quick, and sometimes because they have some cool, fun and different stuff to choose from I haven't seen online. I also head there when I'm traveling out of town and just want something to keep me occupied at the hotel in the evenings.

The bracelet I made for today's UUtS project is from a strand of circle shell beads (donuts?) from Bead Gallery, iridescent champagne glass beads sorted out from a Blue Moon bead mix, gold freshwater pearls and gold seed beads. It's in the 'Orbit' design family, like the lanyard I shared earlier in the series.




I keep meaning to make earrings with those circle/donut beads - they're really perfect for that. I hope I have a couple left over!

I noticed that Tish talked about grabbing from her bead stash to get inspired to make a gorgeous necklace recently - how about you? Any recent work you've done with beads you've had lying around forever and finally realized what they were waiting to become?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Just A Tish said...

I like that - it is warm. it is a year round piece. i think due to the beige colors. i would go with anything. in the winter it is warm against pale skin and inthe summer it is the perfect compliment to tanned skin. it is perfect!

Thanks for the mention of my blog - i had a lot of fun with that little challenge :)

February 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Glad you like it! You're welcome, too, for the mention - it's always fun to I share other people's ways of doing the same thing I'm up to.

February 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger WillowWalker said...

I've been working using up older cabs out of my "hoard". I have been stockpiling the hoard for several years now! I'm also trying to upcycle some of my older pieces and to work with dichroic glass that I already have.

February 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

I've noticed the wonderful upcycling work as well as the posts about the older cabs - it's been fun watching!

February 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf