Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursday Feature: FTC's Material Disclosure Guidance and Bloggers, Revisited

As you might be aware, a few months ago the FTC published guidance on endorsements and material disclosure. I posted about it as well.

If you have been fortunate enough to receive something free from a supplier to use and review, as I have, you might be concerned that your disclosure isn't adequate. Well, here's an "Endorsement Guide" from Mary Engle, Associate Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, that in just a few seconds should clear things up.




I think my disclosures are straight forward and, beyond what is required, also detail exactly what consideration has been given. What I think I will change is where I offer my disclosure. I will move it to the beginning of my posts, thus taking the "up front" literally, even if Mary, on behalf of the FTC, was using it in colloquial manner.

Here's another very short video answering the question "Is the FTC planning to sue bloggers?"




Finally, there's a PDF document with a lot of examples and information about the guidelines available as well.

Love to hear your thoughts on this!

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Just A Tish said...

Thank you so much for this post. clears up so much for people who may be concerned.

December 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

You're welcome! I thought it was time to clear the air since I've gotten more than one email about what I should be saying in my disclosure...

December 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks for the post, Dawno:-) I think we can all relax and not feel we need to write a legal style disclosure. Like she said, just be open about it and let folks know.

December 17, 2009 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

You're welcome. I thought so as well!

December 17, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf