Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday Feature - A Brief Word About "Green" Suppliers


I ordered a number of Beadalon products from Create for Less the other day - they arrived in yesterday's mail. Two things of note, #1, they reuse boxes - mine had a crossed out label for magnetic tape and was definitely not a new box, although perfectly fine and sturdy. #2, the box was barely bigger than the product ordered. What room left over was filled out for shipping with an airpouch made of recycled film ("Earth Aware" from airpouch.com).

I think both of those things are great and it increases my appreciation of Create for Less as a supplier.

I've noted a few other environmentally good practices with a few of my suppliers, too, as I've read their site information:

If you're a supplier of beads, wire, tools or other related materials, or know a link to one's story about going green, please send me an email or leave me a link in the comments and I'll be sure to mention you/them in a future post.

Also, so many of the beaders and other jewelry artists re-use, upscale and re-purpose things in their work - I'd be thrilled to mention all of them, just leave me a link in the comments to your own favorite example of your work, or someone else's, and I'll write up a special post about it. Please also let me know if I can use any photos of the work you mention. If you want to pass along any hints or tips for being a more environmentally aware jewelry artist, feel free leave those too!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting about this. We are really working hard toward making changes in all areas of our company to be more eco-friendly. From the products that we create to the way we package & ship them to the choices we make for invoicing, cataloging and selling our products. Every little bit helps.

October 22, 2009 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Dave Robertson said...

Thank you, Dawno. Rings & Things has been brainstorming ways to work cleaner since before I started working here 10 years ago...And sometimes the good ideas come from our customers. So I just want to share the appreciatin' o' the green with everyone who has helped us with eco-friendly tips, and kept us on our toes by asking sharp questions!

--Dave
at Rings & Things

October 22, 2009 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Sara and Dave - you're very welcome! I hope to find time to dig a lot deeper and broader and do a longer post on it soon. I really want to feature some artisans who are taking re-use, re-purpose and re-cycle to new heights. If you have any recommendations, don't hesitate to email 'em to me!

October 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf