Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Tidbits - Two Dressy Necklaces with Copper and Gemstones

While the temps soared in the upper 90s this weekend I worked on some jewelry and avoided heavier work around the house that still desperately needs to get done before my kids and dad arrive for the holiday weekend. I guess I'll be busy on the 2nd and 3rd!

First, I finished the necklace I showed in progress a while back since I got the rest of the Mocca Swarovski briolettes I needed when I was in LA. I think this would work with any number of outfits, especially in the fall and it's a nice length for lower necklines or open collars at 22".



Next is something completely new I did on Saturday morning. It was made with 14mm peach toned pink aventurine coin beads I've had in my stash for awhile and natural peach jade puffed squares (which I got from my first Lima Beads Fresh Pick) which I didn't realize were a perfect match until I saw them together.

In between the larger peach stone beads, I put a 5mm White Opal Swarovski bicone (from the great stash of Swarovski I picked up at the Rings & Things bead tour) and two "American purple shell" roundells also from the same Lima Beads pick as the jade. I used Tierra Cast Raja bead caps in copper with the squares - had to adjust them a bit to fit - and Tierra Cast 4mm copper scallop bead caps with the bicones.

I originally thought I'd make a lanyard necklace, but those just aren't selling all that well and I liked it so much as a necklace, I stopped a bit shorter than the usual lanyard length, 26"1/2 inches and finished it with a Frilly Oval Copper Toggle Clasp I got from Dry Gulch. (Thanks, Tish!). I think this turned out beautifully.



Tomorrow I'll share the blue pieces I made with kyanite and some blue glass beads that look like blue lace agate that I bought down in L.A., and vintage Swarovski Sunshine beads from The Beadin' Path.

Meanwhile, my Jacaranda Blooms Fresh Pick beads arrived today and I need to start tinkering with the design idea for those. Need to go buy colored pencils, an artist's sketchbook, and while I'm there I want to get some of the inks and pens Margot Potter has talked about in various posts on her blog, to experiment with. I'm glad I cut out a nice 15% off coupon for Michael's from one of the bead magazines I get.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Ring by Ring Designs said...

Those are very pretty necklaces. Nice combinations. I like the longer lengths personally.

June 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks, Bev!

June 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa Crone said...

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to see the vintage sunshine beads... hurry!! :)

June 30, 2009 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

First thing tomorrow morning, Lisa!

June 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Dave Robertson said...

- Two great ways to design with Swarovski beads. The peach + the white opal crystal play well with each other!

--Dave

July 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks, Dave - I'm very happy with these two, glad you like them as well.

July 1, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf