Friday, May 29, 2009

Artbeads Product Review - Russian Artist Masterpiece Pendants


(click for larger view)


I've left the picture above bigger than usual because the featured bead from Artbeads is so beautiful and I want you to see the detail.

This is a reproduction of a portion of an Alphonse (Alfons) Mucha painting, Emerald, done on black onyx. The colors are beautiful and the reproduction is hand painted flawlessly. On the product page Artbeads says "These Russian pendants feature just a small piece of the whole paintings, but in doing so, the essence of the artistry is captured. The backings of the pendants are pieces of black onyx or mother of pearl, and the pendants are drilled from top to bottom..." That rectangle of onyx above, Emerald by Mucha is only 35.5 x 25 mm in size.

I'm extremely pleased with the look and condition of the piece. Although I have it on a temporary necklace, I have plans to re-work the findings and put it on an antiqued chain with a very few small embellishments, since I think the pendant itself is enough to wear without additional flourishes.

I've appreciated the art of Alphonse Maria Mucha since college, and although much of what we recognize of his work were posters and commercial illustrations, it is still beautiful art. To have something like this with such a beautiful image that I can wear, is a real treasure. I'd love to build a 'gallery' of necklaces around these reproductions someday.

I think the pieces are priced quite appropriately for the labor and artistry that went into creating them, but they aren't inexpensive, ranging from $22.47, for the smaller ovals, to over $70 for the larger sized pieces (volume discounts at 4 pieces or 6 pieces, are available).

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Crone said...

Oh wow! What a fabulous find! Real wearable artwork, so cool!

May 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

I want to collect all of them. Need to win the lotto!

May 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Designs by Blanche said...

Dawno, That pendant is beautiful! Please let us see when you rework it into a permanent necklace!

June 6, 2009 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thank you Blanche - if I ever get to the bottom of the pile of stuff on my workbench, I'll finish it and definitely show it off!

June 6, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf