Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My First Blog Review on Technorati and Thoughts About Marketing and Social Media

Ok, pictures first - lots of 'em today, so I hope you're not on dial up! Then the post.

Someone special I know has a May birthday, so I got out these emerald Swarovski rounds - not totally sure what I'm going to make, but it needs to be in the mail tomorrow...


My new assortment packs of aluminum jump rings from Blue Buddha Boutique (as mentioned in prior post) - very cool colors, light weight - going to play and play!


I was just going to order eye and head pins, but I saw these and had to have them, too - Angelite - what a lovely blue!



Needed these fire polished Czech Purple/Gold AB rounds in 12mm size to finish my Step by Step Beads Colorworks Contest submission. It's all done now, and I'm very excited to submit it. Just worried about whether or not I can get the photograph specs correct per rules.



OK, last picture! A while back Rings & Things sent me some brass frames during the Gluable Challenge month. I never used the square one, although I did try something new with one of the rectangular ones. So I got this punch to make perfect-fit squares of paper that I'll use in a collage inside the frame. I have 72 of these frames, due to a *duh* moment in making my order, so I should be able to experiment freely. Got the punch and other cool stuff from Alpha Stamps, which I had never heard of until I read about them on Barbe Saint John's blog.




That's it for the pictures today, on to the title story.

I recently wrote a very short post referencing Technorati. I've been registered there since October of 2004 with my other blog NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES and decided to register this one as well. In that little post I asked if you'd be so kind as to give my blog a review.

Last night I checked my page, and saw that a dear friend of mine had posted a review. The generosity of her comments left me speechless, honest. This was me: " ... "

I've been thinking lately about how a little-known indie artisan gets the word out that they have things they'd like to share, sell, say... Well, blogging is one way, but people need to know to read your blog. Not easy when there are eleventy gazillion blogs about every kind of craft imaginable. Ok, I Googled craft blogs and there were 19 million hits, beading blogs, 16.2 million hits. Not quite eleventy gazillion, but close enough.

Now, I primarily blog because I like to. I'm a social person, extroverted and the beading thing is pretty solitary, so it's my social outlet. (this explains why it may seem like I'm stalking you when sometimes I comment on your blog, or respond to your comment here, about 3 minutes after you post - it's just that I'm starving for conversation!)

I also like to think there are some people who read this and enjoy my posts. I also realize that there's a marketing aspect to this now. As I was talking to my daughter on the phone we got to talking about why that's important.

I don't think it's enough to just have good stuff out there and hope that people will find it; they won't unless you give them some breadcrumbs to follow through the wild forest of the internet. I think you have to go find people you feel are kindred souls, make connections, share jokes, links, help each other out, pay it forward when you can. It's not that I'm looking for you to be my customers, but that when we share in this online conversation it makes us more visible on the web to potential customers - for *all* of us.

Someone lands here, doesn't really like my styles, but is gaga over Tish's or Lisa's, or anyone else on my blogroll. And, I hope, vice versa. Blogrolls, links, reviewing each other's work...fun for us, good for us. It's why I'm going to do my Sunday Dawno's Wanderings Around the Beadosphere, and I hope that someday some others will share in the fun, too.

And, just for fun - I posted on my other blog about my internet addiction along with a fun video clip about Twitter. Would love it if you'd take a peek!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Crone said...

First of all, I love you even more now that I see you making up your own words! If Elenventy is a real word, I apologize! Great article and, most importantly, GREAT BEADS!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have been very tempted to get some of those colorful jump rings. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

April 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Blue Buddha said...

So glad you're excited about the jump rings. As you know, we can't wait to see what you create with them! If you have any chainmaille questions, just let us know, as we're happy to help you navigate this new world of tiny metal circles. :-)

April 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Lisa, you are such a dear-heart! I don't *think* eleventy is a real word, but I used to teach Kindergarten and heard it often enough.

Blue Buddha, thanks so much for the encouragement and offer of support - have downloaded the free tutorials from your site, have my Scott Plumlee book close at hand, and will certainly reach out if I hit a snag!

April 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Dave Robertson said...

Blue Buddha rocks! Glad to see you in touch with each other. And eleventy is a very real word in my house. I've got two kids so far that count with it, and the two younger ones are learning from 'em. (Funny how no one questioned your "gazillion" though, Dawno!)

--Dave

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Anindita Basu said...

You are so right about scattering the bread crumbs ( towards your etsy shop). I am just started learning all these. You have beautiful stuff in your shop. I enjoyed reading your blog too.

Curious to know what you create with these cool stuff. Dita.

May 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thank you!

May 2, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Wendy T. Gibson said...

Such a timely post for me! Thank you Dawno, kindred spirit, bird of a feather, virtual confetti tosser! I am enjoying, so much, it all!

May 5, 2009 at 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes... bookmarked thread :))

December 12, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf