Monday, March 30, 2009

Spilled Beads Do Not a Design Make...Yet

So, I knocked over my box of aventurine and jade beads - the nagging mom voice in my head told me that it shouldn't have been sitting on the floor on top of other things on the floor, and should have been more tightly closed. After saying some bad words to the nagging mom voice (which by the way, isn't remotely like my mom's voice - it's more like my own, nagging at the kids, but much surlier, voice) and grumbling to nobody about having to get down on the floor to scoop them up and more grumbling and bad words said to myself in general about having to sort them, I was on my knees with a tablespoon* ready to scoop them and sort them back into the box when I really looked at the random pattern of the colors and sizes.

*yes, that's what I use to scoop spilled beads off the carpet and it works really well - happens often enough that I keep one in my tool box with the tiny souvenir (probably not what they intended to happen, but it somehow *cough* fell into my carry-on luggage) Singapore Airlines spoon I use to sort small beads I've used and are now all jumbled up on the bead mat

"Hmm," I said to myself - possibly out loud, as I do talk to myself out loud, quite more often these days since I spend a lot of time alone in my workroom, and I guess I kind of miss the sound of human voices, or I'm just going insane, which wouldn't be a bad guess either - "that would be an interesting look for a necklace."

So instead of sorting and putting them back in the box, I dumped them into one of the shoe-box tops I've lined with a small piece of thin foam packing material for a DIY lap-desk and grabbed the bead stringing wire.

Strung about 20" or so - not happy. Tried adding some silver spacer beads, didn't like this try:



So I took off all the roundels and spacers until I just had two roundels and one spacer. Nope. (didn't take a picture of it)

Added some contrasting colored glass beads and some amethyst beads - still not doing it for me. Will continue to play with this until I get something I like. Knowing me, I'll probably end up with a pattern. I'm not that good with random.



Oh, and one other thing, I've had this silver leaf pendant almost a year now and still haven't figured out what to do with it. I considered using it on the necklace above, but rejected it, too. I do think it needs to be on something big and bold, it's 2 and a quarter inches wide and almost 2 and a half inches long.




As always, your opinions, comments, sympathy and humor are greatly appreciated :-)

Latest ArtFire listing:



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Lori A. Basiewicz said...

I like the first configuration without any roundels (think I've correctly identified the beads that aren't working) or spacers.

March 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger rockcreekcreations said...

I like the part of the first one with the spacers. Maybe if the rest had less randomness and more pattern, with the beads & spacers off center.

Neat tries for beads falling on the floor!

March 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks Lori and rockcreekcreations for visiting and your comments.

I really enjoy the different points of view - it'll be interesting to see other comments (hope, hope) and how they line up.

March 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Lisa Crone said...

Great story!! I seem to have the same issue with random patterns. No matter how hard I try, I normally find a pattern forming! I wanted to stop by and comment on the flash drives. Working them into jewelry would be an excellent idea.

March 31, 2009 at 3:10 AM  
Blogger Just A Tish said...

The random is flippin awesome, yes you do good random.

i konw you dont' have faith in your work work, but you should htink about submitting - it is alot of fun and you find new ways to challenge yourself

March 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks Tish! My confidence continues to grow and I really appreciate the support.

March 31, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf