Friday, November 14, 2008

Giving Handcrafted Items for Gifts This Year

The current economic troubles mean hard times for a lot of people. I am going to be frugal with my Christmas spending this year, not because I'm in a crisis financially right now, but because I feel it's important to have a larger financial cushion, just in case.

That said, I'm planning to make more gifts this year for my family and friends. I've already invested in the supplies for my crafts, so no new money will be spent. I also feel much more confident about the look and quality of my work, so giving a handcrafted piece of jewelry won't seem cheap or chintzy of me. (I hope!) The big challenge is what to give the guys on the list - I'm pretty sure they won't get much use out of a beaded necklace...but maybe I can use some of the vintage look supplies to make something for them, too, that's masculine.

Do you have any plans or ideas about holiday gifts that you'll craft rather than buy - or maybe decorations? Do leave a comment, if so!

I did finally get some beading done - here's the latest piece, made with non-magnetic hematite beads, vermeil spacers and light sapphire blue Jablonex faceted Czech glass beads. The beads are approximately 3mm, so while hematite is a dense stone, this isn't all that heavy. It's 32" in length. I'm in the process of making another one just like it, using smoky-gray Jablonex faceted beads, in place of the blue ones pictured (click image to enlarge).



In other news, I finally broke down and listed some items on eBay. It was much easier than I thought it would be. So far no views. I can only hope! And, if you ever see anything you like here in my WIP posts, email me and I'll give you a good bargain!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf