Sunday, September 7, 2008

Great Buys from the Local Art and Wine Festival

Earlier today my husband and I went to the local annual Arts and Wine festival. We've been going since at least 1998 or '99 - might have missed one or two in that time, but we try to go every year.

Some of my favorite jewelry makers were there and some I bought from in the past and keep hoping will come back, were not. I bought two necklaces and matching earrings from Levinson Design who was there last year (and made a sale then, too). Her work consists of lovely beads (glass and ceramic) and knotted work. My next stop was Azuca where I found two necklaces, some earrings and a bracelet that I had to own. These are strung necklaces of stone with seed beads, some metal spacers and a few glass beads - all in lovely colors and shapes. The Azuca store is in Los Gatos, which means it's not that far away. I will be very tempted to shop there more than I should.

I visited The Ringman and Harlanbeads as well - found some wonderful glass beads at Harlanbeads' stall and two rings at The Ringman that found new homes. Several sets of beads from Harlanbeads will eventually make it into necklace and earring sets. These aren't beads that Harlan Simon made, unfortunately, but I do have to give him credit for finding them for me.

Finally, I bought a lovely glass art bead from Harper Designs. Her website is still under construction, but I went ahead and linked it. The bead I bought is a beautiful swirls of blue and green with little silver "bubbles" here and there - they look like tiny silver beads in the glass. It's set as a pendant and I'm going to design a linked chain to go with it.

As for my own work, I finished a linked necklace using gold colored wire (the packaging doesn't give me a clue what metal it is - brass probably) gold tone links from the Organics line by Horizon Group USA found at Michael's, and assorted amber colored glass beads from various mixes by Blue Moon and Bead Heaven, also from Michael's.

Here's the full length shot:



Here's a close up of the top part:



and of the bottom part (click for larger images):



The small single link can be used as a place to hook a badge, so it doubles as a lanyard, too.

I also worked on a filigree choker with a cabochon. I used rhodonite stones and freshwater cultured pearls. I'm not sure it's done yet - may still add some chain or other frills. The side rhodonite beads aren't very visible, but they are faceted disks. All the brass filigree and filigree beads come from Accessories Susan.



I have so much great stuff to work with right now - it's almost paralyzing trying to decide what I want to do next!

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf